Esports became quite popular in the period of last 5 years. It is growing at a rapid pace and more and more players are turning into professional every day. Tournament prize pools already exceed millions of dollars and some Esports players already earn more than professional athletes. Stay tuned and check out which are the top 5 Esports games so far in 2020.
5. League Of Legends
Number 5 on our list is a popular Esports title from Riot Games called League of Legends. The first version of this game came out in 2009 and it is still one of the most played and most watched Esports games. So far, in 2020, a total of 60 LoL tournaments were played and the total prize pool from all tournaments is $5,3 million. The biggest LoL tournament Worlds 2020 is still active and we can expect this number to double. Remember, in 2018, the total prize pool of Worlds was $6,450,000.
- Prize pool money in 2020 (so far): $5,337,068.68
- Number of professional players in 2020: 1236
- Number of tournaments in 2020: 60
4. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
Even though COD 4 is not so popular anymore, it is still one of the highest paying games in 2020. Call of Duty League Championship 2020 was the biggest COD tournament ever. It had a whopping $4,6 million prize pool and that’s what keeps this game alive. It has only 204 professional players but the money involved in this game attract viewers and sponsors.
- Prize pool money in 2020 (so far): $6,243,672.00
- Number of professional players in 2020: 204
- Number of tournaments in 2020: 34
The biggest and most famous Battle-Royale game in 2020. Many gamers don’t consider Fortnite as a real Esports but its popularity is so huge it is hard to deny it. Truth to be told, many Fornite players earn more by streaming than by playing tournaments. Last year, Fornite World Cup had a total prize pool of $15,287,500. This year, due to COVID-19, the tournament was cancelled but Fortnite still remained at the very top.
- Prize pool money in 2020 (so far): $6,334,559.00
- Number of professional players in 2020: 1328
- Number of tournaments in 2020: 96
2. Dota 2
Dota 2 has always been the highest paying Esports game thanks to “The International“. It is common knowledge that “The International” exceeds all expectations every year and breaks all the records that were set the year before that. Even though TI20 should have had a prize pool of $40 million, as it seems, the tournament probably won’t be held this year. Dota 2 has around 500,000 active players every day and 869 of them are professionals.
- Prize pool money in 2020 (so far): $7,456,558.20
- Number of professional players in 2020: 869
- Number of tournaments in 2020: 123
1. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
The biggest Esports game in 2020 by far is CS:GO. This game has the highest total prize pool, most professional players and most tournaments. Many believed that Valorant will be the end of CS:GO era, however, CS:GO still has 1 million active players every day and that number is only growing. The biggest CS:GO tournament was supposed to be Major in Rio but it was also cancelled.
- Prize pool money in 2020 (so far): $11,324,256.33
- Number of professional players in 2020: 2388
- Number of tournaments in 2020: 423
Stay tuned to UpYourGame for more Esports news and tutorials.